Monday 2/13
Started my day by having last weeks dream turn into reality! I got reaquainted with an old fling on facebook who found my post looking for her off an outdated myspace page.

I spent the day packing ebay sales and replying to charity cause inquiries and posts. I was informed of a new wetland park in central LA that the Harbor Freeway bus goes right past so I stopped on my way downtown. As I left the train station at home, there was a well used scooter being donated in the platform trash so I had SP come take it home for me. What a blessing cause I had been fighting the temptation to invest $30 on one for weeks.

The South LA Wetland Park was blocks in to the gang territories of Compton but the bike ride seemed safe in the light.

On the bus there was a great character behind me. He struck up a smooth conversation with the lady next to him and he had her interested right up to the point where he started talkin about being fresh out of prison, on his way to get public assistance, with 6 children, part time work, and he was a retired jigalo dancer before holding his ex hostage.

I hope this gent gets some spiritual training on how to ease into these issues.

Once I arrived at the park there was a nice fence all the way around it but they didn’t install the litter catcher at the base. The park was beautiful but had not been mulched yet and the mud was catching a lot of the litter putting the fowl at risk of choking.

I hope they have benches in the plans for the path. There was at least one gate that was unlocked without a path so visitors were tromping the delicate seedlings.  8+(

As I sat typing away, I noticed the high school soccer field across the street. I was suddenly lifted to a new level at the discovery I could play a palada at the same visit.

I was inspired to locate the park committe and volunter to attach my city service grant time to them. 20 hours a month.

If I had at least one wealthy sponsor for the Helping Hands Charity, I would have been able to pay the maintenance and tow fee for the single mom having car problems. A gent was looking the car over to help her find the problem so I moved on.

I pray everyday I will get one of my successful followers to sponsor a charge account to help those in life threatening situations. Today was another day I cried a bit as I was forced to watch unsuccesful in the task. It was not the worst gang hood but it was far from safe and the weather was 40 and rainy/windy.

The park also needs wind breaks, weatherproof print literature, ground brush, recycling bins and year round shade trees.

I went back to the bus and moved on to SI to help coach me Boyle Heights kids. The bus ride was a memorable one. The driver was having a bad moment due to her route timing and break being delayed from a break down. The bike rack was full which 99% of the time means I have to wait for the next one which meant I would have been late for my kids practice.

Yet another blessing from beyond came as the lady in all her negativity, politely told me I could carry the bike until a rack opened. Wow. So many blessings today.

On the bus we had a great group chat between some Americorp volunteers and us as well.  I learned not only do the schools run students in half days, they also rotate vacation months like college semesters to help reduce the over population.

After practice, I crashed early because I was volunteering for Dodger Stadium park maintenance at 7am Tuesday.

Tuesday 2/14 – 2/16 I volunteered with the LA County Nursery.

It was a chilly ride but I made it to the nursery at 5 minutes to 7. The first to show was the office manager, Mannie. He grilled me with about 5 questions to test my pysique before giving me the approval to start. Next, in came Rita who would be me supervisor. She showed me all the gear and then gave me a tour.

Half the tree’s had been damaged by a wind storm and my objective would be to stand them up, fix their tie straps and stakes and water and shovel dirt run off.

After about 2 hours of that, Mannie grabbed me and said we were going to fix some landscaping in front of the Chinese Theatre on star walk in Hollywood. While we were there pulling steel bars out of the ground, there was as a digital billboard being installed above us.

On the way back we went over Elysian and wrapped around the LA Zoo road to avoid Sunset traffic. This took us past the train museum where a good Bruce Willis scene was filmed.

The afternoon was spent watering the trees. After I left thee nursery I biked past a thrift store district where all the clothes at Goodwill were $1. They roll new totes out every 30 minutes and people run after them to get the first picks. I found a pair of new brown Adidas street gear shoes with a touch of paint for $5 and 1 left foot Adidas predator cleat that I needed to play soccer.

As I was heading down the road I noticed another thrift sign on a side road. As I got closer to it I discovered St. Vincent de Paul was a massive 10000sq. Ft. Plus warehouse full of tons of everything. I picked up a pair of $100 Accenture Outdoor Pants for $7.50. For VDay they were running an additional 50% off!

When I got back to SI, I just wanted to pass out. I had not got up at 5:45a since running in the mornings with Alli. As I was about to kick back with a bowl, Will came in and said we were going to a free comedy show with Scott Naviski from the show, Chuuck. It was being produced by one of our boys in a penthouse club called the Pirch downtown.

I got my picture with Scott and enjoyed several other acts as well that were on MTV and Comedy Central.

Wednesday, Feb. 15, the volunteer day at the nursery was uneventfull. It sprinkled off and on so eventually we had to go home at lunch. I spent the afternoon buying a few items to put on eBay at the thrift store while waiting for the rain to stop long enough to make it home dry.

Once I arrived, I could not find my phones. I remembered putting them on the window ledge by the bike at the store so I could put my jacket on. I called the store but kept getting hung up on after a transfer. I also got the manager once just long enough to tell him and then got hung up on again. Will and I drove back to the store and he got them on the phone again. By the time we got there my publishing phone and my new $500 LG 2x were no where to be found.

When we got back to the house I tried to call the phone. I didn’t want to do it earlier because it risked getting the attention of a dishonest person. I didn’t even get to the point to text my code word to receive the GPS location. Scott’s super hero ears told me he picked up a vibration near the couch. Sure enough they had fallen out of my bag and into the dark hole of a couch cushion.

It was such a roller coaster ride; getting all worried, then heart broke at the thought they were gone for ever, then back to the top when discovering them again.

I then went over to help coach my soccer kids but either the season was over or it was too cold for them because no one was around.

Back at Shhmokewear, we closed a $5000 order this week so I helped package and tag hundreds of wrist hookahs before falling a sleep.

Thursday was a normal day of watering trees at the nursery. It was my 3rd day in a row getting up and motivated before 6am. If you ever find yourself in a rut and constantly getting up late, you just force yourself to get up super early 3 days in a row and you will be back on track.

I would be up by 7:30 quite some time after 3 early alarm days in a row.

After my time at the nursery I rushed to pack up at SI and return to South Bay. As I was leaving I received a text from the dance instructor I spent my December with. As always the day after Valentines day, single women are sad and looking for companionship.

Julia asked me if I was promised to anyone yet and then we exchanged messages as I rode the train home. She was hoping to see me soon but I was on my way camping and working in Vegas all week.

On the train home I met an old classmate who played on the Husker football team during 97 and 98. We shared some stories about the party days and then swapped cards. When I got home I had an interesting email from the Paris girl which I am most anxious to get to know. She asked me ideas for locations to get multiple signatures fast for her groups anti human slavery campaign.

She delicately explained she was just beginning to be monogamis with a guy and it was early so I would have to wait awhile to take her out on a romantic date.

Friday, I took SP food shopping until mid day and then worked on ordering supplies at SI most of the evening. We spent the night packing for a backpack campingventure.

Saturday, Feb. 18. We were out of the house by 8am and in Azusa to meet our adventure group by 9. We drove 15 minutes into the Canyons to Glenn Canyon trail head. From there we hiked a yuppie paved ranger road 6 miles along the river up to Glenn camp.

After we were all set up, I went to hike the canyon stream to see if I could make it to the other campground on the south side. About 20 minutes up, I came to a beautiful waterfall with a wall of nearly 80 feet. I would have to get gear to safely make it any further.

I went as high as I felt safe climbing without a spotter and then sat on a tree branch to write about my experience. There was a spot with some anchored climbing rope so I went up it to get some great shots and then went to try climbing the other canyon wall.

The east side had two huge trees fallen up against it so I climbed one. I had to cut back thorn branches along the way bur after 15 minutes I made it 40 feet up the tree. Unfortunately the ferns were covering the jagged steep rocks so it was again too dangerous to make it over the ridge without a spotter.

I returned back to camp and shared my find with the group of others who may be interested. The cutest girl, Telena, was excited to see it so they formed a group to follow me back into the canyon. We took a bunch of pictures and then the rest of the night she and I bonded.

She asked me to walk her to get supplies and then the rest room after that. There was this huge flat rock on the edge of the camp that I laid on to look at the stars while waiting. She came over and laid beside me and we snuggled up while pointing out constalations and talking zodiac.

In the morning I got up and did my push ups, crunches and yoga. I relaxed in the limited sunny areas while eating and meditating, then wrote a bit.

As I sat by the fire stitching my pack up, Telena came over and continued to show interest while in a sober state so I continued where we left off.

We hiked the whole way back together and got to know details about our lives. We made plans to get together to watch a movie like “I heart Huckabee’s” or “Over the Hedge” when I return from Vegas and then said our goodbyes.

We returned home and started packing for Vegas.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s